About Idaho’s Bounty Co-op

Idaho's Bounty Cooperative logo

Incredibly, only 2% of the food Idahoans consume is produced in Idaho.

Just 2%. The other 98% is shipped in from other states and countries, journeys of hundreds or thousands of miles—at a cost of countless of potential jobs, significant environmental damage and billions of local dollars that leave Idaho.

We live in a state that’s an agricultural powerhouse: ranked first in America for potato production and fourth for dairy products, among others. Many crops of all kinds are commercially grown here. And only 2% stay here.

A small group of us got together with the idea that we could change this—or at least put a dent in it—by reestablishing a direct connection between our local farmers and consumers.

We knew we couldn’t do it alone. We met with our food producers, small business consultants, government officials, rural development specialists, and others working on similar projects outside Idaho. In spring of 2007, we tested our concept in Hagerman and Wood River Valley and, in October, opened our first retail location selling locally grown food.

Today Idaho’s Bounty is a healthy and growing cooperative owned and operated by our members: farmers, ranchers, market gardeners, chefs, families, grocery stores, restaurants and consumers. Our members share Idaho’s Bounty’s values of cooperation, advocacy, authenticity and service. And they share our vision for building a trusted network that promotes and distributes local organic, all-natural food to our region, with an eye for sustainability and local economic development.

Here’s how we make buying local food easier and more cost-effective for everyone:

We guarantee our food is from our local foodshed.

Not from California. Not “from the Pacific Northwest.”

We vet our farms and ranches for sustainable practices.

Local is important, but not enough by itself. We support Certified Organic, organic growing methods and organic in practice. Our food is free of added hormones and antibiotics.

We offer convenient, timely deliveries.

We make sourcing local food easy by aggregating the supply of more than 80 farmers and ranchers on a single invoice. We deliver right to the door of our commercial members and to convenient drop-off points for everyone else, saving you time, money and miles.

We have a long way to go before we realize our vision of a thriving, sustainable local food economy. But, by working together in a cooperative way, we’ve laid the foundation for a food system that creates more jobs, encourages better health and keeps more local dollars in Idaho.